Hello and Good-bye!

I've created this blog for several reasons, primarily as a way to stay in touch, without staying in touch. There are a lot of folks who've expressed interest in this solo adventure of mine and so I welcome the cyber company as I travel this great country.







Monday, June 14, 2010

A Close Encounter

I arrived at the Kean residence in north Calgary sometime after supper on June 10. I was going to head out early the next morning but was persuaded to spend another day when I was invited to join them the following afternoon at Spruce Meadows, an international show jumping event just outside the city.
I've attended before.  It's a great opportunity to get up close to the action. Friday was no exception.  I was as close as I could be without actually stepping onto the field.  I love photographing horses, such beautiful creatures.  I submit the following for your viewing pleasure.



To view larger picture, click on image.  To return to blog, press Alt. then press left pointing arrow.






So I'm taking some shots and I look to my right and think, hmm, that guy looks like Bruce Springsteen.  Wait, I heard his daughter Jessica was competing at the event.  OMG, that's Bruce Springsteen!  Ok, so I'm not a groupie but I have a history with Bruce Springsteen, albiet one-sided.  When I was a young woman, lo those many years ago, in Fernie, B.C. my friends and I would go to a place called the Sundowner.  Man, I haven't thought of that place in decades.  Anyway, it was a downstairs club, low ceilings with a projection screen on one wall and each time Bruce Springsteen's life size image appeared on that wall, I would abandon whomever I was with and start dancing with Bruce.  Major flashback as I stood there looking at him but I knew I wouldn't approach because I'm far to mature to make that kind of fool of myself.  He was surrounded by a number of folks, so close I assumed they were family.  A woman more mature than myself and a man approached him but he politely refused their request for an autograph, afterall he was there as a proud dad, not a rock legend.  Soon the security came by and ushered the people away.  I was within 20'.  There was a female security person next to me. 
"I don't have to move, do I?"  I asked.  "I'm not too close." 
"No, you're fine there," she responded "but I will ask you to move on up the stairs before he leaves." 
"No problem, " I said grateful for the heads up about where he would exit, which was directly behind me.  I made my way to the top of the stairs, and waited, knowing he would be moving my way soon.  I did get a few shots while still standing there, as discreetly as possible. 


Bruce at Spruce! 

He walked up the steps, fronted by a few security people. I was off to his right.
When he reached the top of the steps the same woman who tried to get his autograph earlier was in front of him.  "Oh Bruce, Bruce Springsteen I love you," she said in a heavy Eastern European or Spanish accent.  I couldn't really tell because I was mortified someone that age could do such a thing.  The security ushered her away just as he reached me.
"I'm afraid I don't love you," I said "but I do like you a lot."  I chuckled  and touched his arm, (he was that close).  I was rewarded with eye contact and a smile that seemed to say 'good one'.  I told the Keans and company about my encounter and anyone else who would listen.  Suddenly I understood how a mature female could make an absolute fool of herself.  Still, I was glad it was her and not me.  I had planned to leave that morning but made the decision to stay and am I glad I did!  Not just for the Bruce encounter but for the chance to spend time with friends, people I've known forever.  Although seeing Bruce took me back to a
moment in time, my friends, the Keans, represent a thousand moments over time all woven together to make a life.  This one encounter pales in comparison to the many with them - the times we spent, the memories we've made.  Bruce at Spruce was nice (for my ego) but really what does it mean to my life?  Nothing really (no offence Bruce - but let's face it, he's not sitting around today talking about his close encounter with me!)  Friendships, on the other hand, are what warms the cockles of my heart and are the real measure of success.  I may not have a lot of money or much stuff but I am rich in friendships.
"Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."  Ludwig van Beethoven 

No comments:

Post a Comment