Hello and Good-bye!

I've created this blog for several reasons, primarily as a way to stay in touch, without staying in touch. There are a lot of folks who've expressed interest in this solo adventure of mine and so I welcome the cyber company as I travel this great country.







Sunday, May 2, 2010

Time change in Tofino!

I was convinced it would take me forever to get out of the 9 to 5, Monday to Friday thing then two days ago when I thought it was Monday, someone pointed out it was Friday.  The transformation is complete.  I'm on another time zone, mentally, though I'm not sure what to call it.  I find whether I go to bed at 10pm or much later, I still wake at 5:30 am (ish).
I loved Tofino and imagined I could easily live here.  The people are friendly, the landscape is breathtaking and I felt so relaxed.  Of course, I feel relaxed everywhere I go!
I had more great encounters, not the least of which was with a fellow by the name of Richard George. 

Me and Richard or is it Richard and I.  No matter!  His face says it all, doesn't it?  Friendly, approachable. A  man with a lot of stories.
His parents, Lewis and Cathy, own the House of Himwitsa in Tofino on Main Street.  We had a long chat and he told me about his grandfather, Earl George.  Earl was raised in the residential school system and unlike so many other first nations people, he had a positive experience in the system.  His mother died when he was 3.  His father worked away from the area and the nuns who raised him were, according to Richard, "like surrogate mothers".  His grandfather credited that experience with the success he had later in life.  He left school after Grade 8, "that was the equivalent of high school" back then, became a fisherman, a logger then captained a coast guard vessel for a number of years before retirement.  After that, bored, he set a new challenge for himself, he returned to school and received a degree (in anthopology, I beleive).  He was a great inspiration to his people and led by example, believing you were never too old to accomplish your dreams.  There is so much more to write but I'll finish by saying I believe people come into our life for a reason.  I imagine Earl George's spirit is soaring like an eagle, a powerful symbol for First Nations people, and he is still here, looking over them and pointing to a better future.  I believe I met his grandson so I could hear his message and be inspired.  I did and I am.  Thank you Chief George!  By the way, the current chief is Richard's father Lewis and, if memory serves, when Richard takes on the role after his father (it's passed on from father to son), he will represent the 18th generation of chiefs from his own family.  Imagine that!
As I was walking along the main street, a fellow whizzed by on this odd looking mode of transport and, like ya would, I called out to him and he u-turned and  pulled up along side of me.
Andy on his bike?
So, I says to the guy, 'sup with that?  Turns out it's a recumbent bike.  Instead of sitting high up, it's like you're sitting in a chair.  He looked very comfortable and said it took a little getting used to but now, when he's riding on the road with his buddies, they're huffing and puffing and he's exerting a lot less energy.  It's a challenge going up hill but he wouldn't trade it for anything.

The view the next morning after my first night in Tofino.  Ah, she's sighs heavily wishing she could have stayed forever.
At least that's how I felt until the weekend came.  Throngs of people showed up and the bustle made me feel a feel a little overwhelmed.  I'm glad I had arrived earlier otherwise my impressions might have been skewed by the crowds.  I spent 3 days in Tofino and did manage, on the last day, to take in a whale tour. 

Grey whale, up for one breath before returning to the feeding grounds below.
We were out three hours altogether and though we did see grey whales, they stayed on the surface briefly.  Catching images was tricky because one never knew where and when they would appear.  I did manage a few but no flukes.  In the end I decided to take a short movie as a record.  Later along there were all kinds of seals who sat on the rocks and posed. 

On the way back, the waves were around 3 metres and we 'caught air' a number of times.  The first time, not expecting it, the impact jarred my spine because I was sitting quite straight.  Ouch!  Another lesson learned, bend slightly at the waiste so the spine doesn't absorb all the shock. 
I was about to leave town when I remembered someone telling me that Tofino is Mile Zero of the Trans Canada Highway, so back I went and invited a couple with their young son to join me in the shot.

Little Silas with his mom and dad who live on Meares Island just across the water.
Apparently there's a bit of a controversy about whether it's Tofino or Victoria.  I figure since Tofino is the furthest, it must be the true start of the highway, but what do I know.  I'll see if I can locate the one in Victoria and get a shot of it as well, just in case.
One note before I sign off.  I've met so many people who are sooooo enthusiastic about my advetnre but the strange thing is I'm meeting a few who are doing something similar.  As Sidney from the states said "maybe we're becoming a cliche".  She left her job about the same time I did and has been travelling and writing as well.  I gave her my blog site, as I do so many and invited her to stay in touch.  Later on, outside of Tofino at the botanical gardens I met a young woman who was raised by missionary parents and has travelled extensively.  "I've got the travel bug" she says and is pretty sure she'll get to Nfld. soon.  "That's what I heard she said," when I told her it's similar to here.  "but the people are even friendly".  I couldn't deny it!  So a shout out to all the wonderful people I've met on my travels so far.  You're what's making this trip, a trip :)  I gotta go before I'm kicked out.  Check out time was 10 minutes ago.  Bye!

1 comment:

  1. WONDERFUL! Just think of it, one short month ago you didn’t know to keep your spine bent in rough water. I can’t believe you managed to survive an entire lifetime without that bit of wisdom! And that’s just the tip of it. I know this is slipping into cliché, but reading your blog is akin to watching a flower open. You are on an emotional exploration of Canada… not just of its landscapes, but of its people – you gutsy social butterfly you. Thank you so much for inviting us along! Ps. Great banner pic ; )

    ReplyDelete