Hello and Good-bye!

I've created this blog for several reasons, primarily as a way to stay in touch, without staying in touch. There are a lot of folks who've expressed interest in this solo adventure of mine and so I welcome the cyber company as I travel this great country.







Saturday, May 8, 2010

Overnight Fernie then on to Edmonton

I did take Antonio to Walt's garage and met a young fellow named Mike.  I asked if he might check under the hood.  He did and assured me I was good to go when I told him I would eventually visit my mechanic back in Calgary.  Well, he could have said no, or could have said come back later, or could have said "that'll be $50" but he didn't.  He just took a few minutes to assure me all was good.  So, a shout out to Mike at Walt's garage in Creston, B.C. 
I left Creston shortly after noon and headed for Cranbrook.  Lots of road work and some delays but hey, you gotta take whatever comes.  A grain of sand in the desert of life!
I did stop in Cranbrook to have lunch and Frank's Steak and Schnitzel Haus.  OMG!  One piece of advise, if you go there, share a meal, it's huge. 
I was soon on the road to Fernie to stay with my friend Philo and family.  Ah, Fernie, the place where I grew up in other ways - where words moved from my mind, through my fingers, out to the world.  It's where I experienced bliss for the first time in a job.  Philo is originally from Ireland. We met at the Fernie Bakery in the early 80s. All my dearest friends today are ones I met in Fernie around that time. I was gathering friends like flowers and those relationships continue to bloom today. But that's for another time.  I was here overnight only though will be returning before I head east.
I arrived with my doggie bag and we had supper before heading out for a walk.  We got back around 10:30 and it was off to bed.  I was tired.  These 5:30 a.m. wake-ups make for early bedtimes. 

I was up at 6am and out the door by 6:25.  I had to scrape the windsield.  Oh, so many are upset about the return of winter but it will be gone soon enough and we'll, NO I'll be complaining about the heat.  I prefer cool to hot.
I arrived in Calgary three hours later and stayed for an hour or so to take care of some things before heading north to Edmonton another three hours away.  Lots of driving these last few days but I dion't mind it.  It still beats sitting at a desk.  This was my new office, my new job, driving across the country and writing about whatever comes my way.  OK, the pay is lousy but I'm working on that.  One day I'll find work that brings me joy AND a decent paycheque.  Never had that combo. before.
So here I am at a reasonably priced, challenged fraught establishment in Edmonton.  I'm here for a wedding.  My niece (by heart, not blood) K. is getting married this evening.  She's starting on her own adventure, the biggest one of her life and trust me, she's had a few, for one so young.  I don't worry about her though.  She's was given a solid foundation and has a inner strength that will keep her grounded. I call her "my heart" because her life brought life back my heart.  Don't get me started!

No comments:

Post a Comment