Hello and Good-bye!

I've created this blog for several reasons, primarily as a way to stay in touch, without staying in touch. There are a lot of folks who've expressed interest in this solo adventure of mine and so I welcome the cyber company as I travel this great country.







Friday, August 27, 2010

Hello from North Sydney, Nova Scotia JULY 23, 2010

Imagine my surprise when I realized I had not downloaded this update.  Opps!  It's a long ramble so here goes: 
Where have I been, you may wonder.  Well, I was keeping a low profile in Cambridge, Ontario only because it was hot, hot-like-hell-hot, in Southern Ontario since shortly after I arrived.  So all plans to take daily excursions were kiboshed as I opted for the cool of the pool and the air conditioning of my sister house.
I got a lot of family visiting in, which was wonderful.  I met my nephew Russell (aka Rusty) for the first time and he is a delight.  He turned two while I was there. 
He's crazy about fire engines.  My sister told me he likes to spend time on youtube looking at anything and everything to do with fire engines.  Apparently a few weeks earlier, another of my sisters took Russell to a fire hall and he was awe struck.  We talked about how great it would be to have a fire engine at his birthday party.  The next day I went to the fire hall.  The young man I spoke with said his crew would love to drop by but they were off on Saturday.  He encouraged me to return and speak with the crew working that day.
I returned twice Saturday and each time the place was empty, except for the fire engines.  I called and shouted up the pole but to no avail.  I left and decided I would have to buy my nephew a gift as this surprise would likely not take place.
Two hours before the event I made one last attempt.  As before, I walked in to an empty hall and called out.  This time I got a response.  Fireman Brad, who could also be nicknamed Rusty, called back then slid down the pole to greet me.  Cool!
I told him about the party and asked if they could drop by for a few minutes around 4:30 p.m.  He seemed tentative.  I suggested if he needed a reason, there was a fire hydrant on my sister's property which looked like it needed some attention.  He smiled and said his crew would be delighted to come up for a few minutes but added if something else came up (ie: a fire) they would not be able to make it. 
I returned home and tried to keep the news to myself.  Just as everyone arrived, so did the fire engine.  Regan, the little fell's dad, knew something was up.  I mean what were the odds that on his son's birthday, a fire engine would just show up out of the blue.
I think Russell was a little overwhelmed and probably a little flustered by our excitement.  The crew stayed for at least 10 minutes.

It was a great day and before long we were in the pool.  At Chris' house, volley ball is the game of choice when in the water and for some reason, I've have a reputation for being the champion at it.  Not sure how that happened but I do enjoy it.
I've seen big changes in the kids.  My 14 year old newphew is a strong, aggressive player while his eight year old cousin is quite the competitor and his knowledge of sports is amazing.  My nieces like to play but at a calmer pace and seem to prefer coming up with their own water games.
When the grown ups are in the pool and a game is in progress, I imagine the next door neighbours get a charge out of hearing middle aged people reduced to children when we miss the ball or feel the 'umpire's' call was unfair.  Move over MacElroy!
Whether it's volleyball, Scrabble or Yahtzee, it's about being together and enjoying each other's company.
I stayed in Cambridge for three weeks.  Since I wanted to be in Newfoundland especially St. John's by July 24th, it meant touring the Maritimes would also have to wait. 
I was to leave Cambridge on Monday, but as Tuesday was my siser's birthday, she persuaded me to stay one more day.  The heat and humidity extended all the way east and I knew when I hit the road, I would not be taking side trips.  Also leaving Tuesday meant I would do nothing more than drive which is how it turned out.  On day one, I drove almost 10 hours stopping only when necessary.  The next day was six hours.  I was to stay overnight in Amherst at my cousin's but at 7pm with three hours left to go, I decided to get a motel room and start early the following day.  Thursday turned out to be very wet. 
Oh speaking of wet, after I left Montreal, parts of the city flooded. Yet again I had missed foul weather.  My good luck continued.  The rain on the drive to Amherst was  torrential.  It freaked me out a little but I pushed on deciding against the visit because I knew it would be the excuse I needed not to keep going.  I was running out of time to catch the ferry.
I arrived in North Sydney at dusk to find there was no room at the inn, or the hotels, or the motels in the area.  The gal at the front desk of the Clansmen called around and found a room for me 15 minutes back down the road, the Seal Island motel.  It was dark and I dislike driving in the dark so I was grateful to find a place. 
The motel overlooked the water and for the second night in a row I had a room with a view.  Like the day before, I was up early and worked out before getting ready for the day.
That last night I supped at the Seal Island restaurant.  I chose pan fried haddock and oh my, wasn't it good.  I ate too late though.  The next morning I left the hotel just after 9am and stopped in at Fitzgerald's restaurant for a light breakfast then I saw fish cakes with eggs on the menu and that was that.
As I write this, I'm seated outside the Marine Atlantic terminal in N. Sydney, at a picnic table, by myself, in the shade, connected to their internet and killing a few hours until the Caribou sails at 1:45pm, two hours off schedule.
I've been told by a number of the locals that the ferry service has been atrocious this year, and last, what with the Swiss vessel, the Vision, being in dry dock more than on the water-one time because of a fire. 
I'll arrive in Port aux Basques around 8pm tonight and will stay overnight, if I can find a room.  Otherwise, I will park somewhere and catch a few hours sleep.
Driving east, it was difficult not to stop and take in the gorgeous scenery and beautiful architecture.  I almost turned back at the world's longest covered bridge but decided against it.  I'd like to return in the fall when the colours are prominent to travel around and take pictures.
That's it for now.  I'll have a lot more to input, mostly pictures but that's for another time.  Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. So good to hear of your travels - at last! ~ Danuta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Russell does look a wee bit out of sorts lol. Some things can be so much more intimidating when they're not made by Tonka. It was great to see some pics of my hometown Ottawa and way to go again for taking on this adventure! I'd love to know what happened when you got home :) Was it everything you hoped it would be? Wait a sec, of course it was... once a Newfie, always a Newfie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appresiate the effort you have put in writing all of this. The whole blog has very interesting articles and posts, a person can learn one or two things from reading one or two.

    ReplyDelete